Monday, April 16, 2012

I have a garden!

Women are selling apple tree saplings and seeds on the side of the road. Everyone is in the garden after work starting to plant. The fruit trees are budding. It is most certainly spring.
I just got in from making rows in the piece of the family garden our family is letting me use for this season. Thus far I have planted tomatoes, onions, and garlic. I've also started spinach, lettuce, leeks, and peppers indoors (Thanks for the seeds mom!) and some herbs in pots. I made starter pots out of paper (you know you mold the paper around a bottle and then you can plant the paper and all once the seeds sprout) and my family sat and watched me like I was a crazy person. It was quite a spectacle. After a long winter in which the whole village is covered in white, its amazing to see green again!
Generally life is starting to get busy. I am doing a bunch of composting and job preparedness trainings.
I will write more and upload pictures my next trip.

Have a great week everyone,
Athena

3 comments:

  1. Happy Spring!!

    Your garden sounds awesome! I've been playing in the dirt a lot lately too, and I think I'm just about finished with my spring planting. Your paper idea is a good one. I've been reading about people using the cardboard rolls out of toilet paper as a container for starting seeds. I may give that a try next year.

    You guys take care and I will cross my fingers that you will have an awesome harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our apple trees are tons of flowers and look great already. I need to build an electric fence though because deer keep munching on the new growth. I can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam and I have our first garden in Jackson Ward this year. We're just doing herbs, but lots of those! Spearmint and Peppermint along the back wall of our kitchen to try and keep the ants out (Three distinct species invading...). Lemon balm and Rosemary back there to fight the mint and grow nice and big so I can make tinctures with 'em. Parsley, Thyme, Oregano and Lavender for the alley leading to our door in the back of a duplex (surprisingly, this area gets more consistent sun than much of the yard).

    I've been composting as well, but at the little community garden down the block, past Conor and John's apartment. I haven't met the people gardening there yet, despite dropping off compost in their bin every three days or so since February. I think they're spies, or ghosts. But they've got some impressive looking chard!

    I miss you both terribly, especially when I sing. But things are going generally very well!

    Much love,
    -Kyle

    ReplyDelete