Thursday, September 29, 2011

We have officially passed the 6 month mark...


October is on it's way and the winds have gotten cold here in Bakai-ata. School is starting (again) after the apple/potato/bean harvest break and we are finished with most of our canning! Right now we are making chutneys and kim-chee to add some flavor to the winter. Thanks to our families we have a nice array of spices to work with and our food is starting to get spicy again. We've also stocked up on a lot of dry ingredients for the winter which has been interesting. Its strange to see 50 kilograms of anything in a place other than Costco.

Last week we had our in-service training for Peace Corps. A lot was review, but we had some really great language lessons. We also had a chance to meet with some of the US Embassy staff as the visited the American corner (resource center in Talas city). They have asked me to start a monthly club for some Talas city students about volunteerism and community service; I think it will be really interesting. In other work related new, I am going to start teaching a yoga class in our village and am working on a grant to buy textbooks for our village schools and do a two day teacher training for the English teachers. Finally, Alex and I are are working with 4 other volunteers to conduct reproductive health trainings for students all over the oblast. What I am saying is, I am finally starting to feel productive!

Alex and I have been doing quite well over all. We are settled into our home and now have a regular work schedule. We've been watching the show “The Wire” which, as everyone has been telling me for years, is amazing. We both are really looking forward to seeing our families in Italy (I cannot wait to taste red wine again!) Right now we are in Bishkek for a few days, after we head back to the village to start school again.

Well, I know the next thing I normally attach are pictures but---I didn't take any! I've been obsessed with trying to get a picture of this super pretty woodpecker and have failed to take other pictures. I promise extra picture s next time I update.

No comments:

Post a Comment