Friday, April 22, 2011

A month in Kyrgyzstan (sorry I don't have a creative title)



We've been in Kyrgyzstan for a month and it feels, simultaneously, like we have been here forever and like we have just arrived. I've learned so much about the country and its language but have also just started to figure things out. Language classes have been wonderful and difficult. I can know give crude directions, ask how much something is, take transportation, and have basic conversations with my family. The atmosphere here is distinctly spring-like. The apricot tree (Ooryt Bak) in front of our house is in full bloom and we spend the weekend tilling, planting, and weeding our mini-farm behind the house. I've learned to fold Matbl (dumplings filled with green onion and potato..mmmmm) which is super fun. I'm also starting to help my Genge (sister-in-law) learn some basic English phrases.

I'd like to thank everyone who has sent letters, we have received the ones sent the week we left. It has been really nice to read them. I'll be sending some your way when I figure out the postal system. Our post office doesnt actually carry stamps, nor do they accept letters. From what I understand the postal system is barely used and is run quite arbitrarily.

Anyway, Alex and I are doing well and are enjoying Kyrgyzstan. We are drinking a lot of tea and are surrounded by wonderful people. I hope all of you are in the same situation on your side of the world.

Until next time,

Athena




4 comments:

  1. love hearing from you. Sounds like you and Alex are right at home. That makes me happy.

    Love mk (mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update and the lovely photos. I'm glad to hear that you guys are doing well, and I can't wait for the first cooking class you host back in the states. You guys take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Our post office doesn't actually carry stamps, nor do they accept letters"

    Athena, I have no idea why this made me laugh for 3 minutes straight, but it did.
    Glad things are going well.

    Tiffany Harris (HandsOn)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica sent me the link to your blog. So happy I can keep up with your adventures!!! Sending all my love, Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete